Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Up on a Shelf, Out on a Limb

You came knocking on my door,
when she had just stormed out crying;
A scene you thankfully haven't seen.
I shouldn't have let you in,
my room was still a mess.

You stepped on my feet
till my toes turned blue.
If only I knew
about your concrete shoes.
They brace and they bruise.
How can I walk away now?

Your skin, soft as an infant's,
felt like sandpaper.
And those deep pools for eyes
feel like black holes.
I wish I knew what I was doing.

This is not fair,
it's not yet there
and you're shoving it into my chest.
Like a rusty blade, you're thrusting
back and forth,
back and forth,
back... and forth.

I'll close my eyes.
I'll bleed it out.
I'll isolate myself
from all the doubt.
I'll wear a smile
and hope it works,
and hope this drink
will stop the hurt.

I'll set my heart
aside for now.
And maybe, someday,
you'll all hear me out.

And maybe, someday,
I'll have something to say.

For now, I need to decay.

Track of the Moment:
Keane - "Bedshaped"

No comments:

Post a Comment